Last weekend I was able to fly up to Recife where I served my mission again. This time I was able to plan ahead a little bit better since it wasn't so last minute. I finally got a hold of this family I had baptized on my mission but that had since moved away, and was able to meet up with them at the temple. I'll save the story for now, but needless to say to see it come full circle and see them happy and active years later at the temple was an awesome experience! Carlos and his family taught me a lot of life lessons without even knowing it, and this time wasn't any different. I was hungry, so we went across the street to McDonald's. I don't even like McDonald's, but anyone who travels a lot knows how nice it is sometimes when you're sick of strange foreign food...but they had NEVER eaten at McDonald's before. So of course, I had to buy them a combo. But who would've though that we take something like a fast food restaurant for granted...so next time you eat a Big Mac just remember there are millions around the world who can't even afford that $1 menu!On that same note, while I was waiting for them, I noticed there were about 10 huge buses in the temple parking lot. The next closest temple is all the way in São Paulo (a 3 hour flight). Think of it this way --it's as if the Salt Lake temple served the entire Western US. So no doubt these people had traveled for hours and hours if not days just to get to the temple. We take the temple for granted so much, I don't even know how many we have just in Salt Lake anymore...But if you're bored with the spiritual x-missionary stuff, don't worry I had some fun too! Prepare to be jealous...
PORTO DE GALINHAS!
I also had time to make it to Porto de Galinhas (do a google image search, you won't regret it!), which was voted best beach in Brazil 9 years in a row. And it indeed lived up to its hype. Beautiful crystal clear water, nice white sand, coral reefs, warm (almost hot!) water...it was paradise. I finally put my snorkel gear I packed with me from the US to good use. Porto de Galinhas is famous for its "natural pools".
You can see the fish from the surface because the water is so clear. And when you jump in to swim, the fish start to swim around you, as if you were a natural part of their environment. I bought a disposable water-proof camera, and was able to get some awesome pictures. Can't wait for those to get developed, and you can bet I'll be posting them just to make everyone jealous! Although, the next digital camera I buy will be a waterproof one, since I can't even remember when the last time was I had to get film developed. Anyway, it was an awesome weekend! Enjoy the pictures!
Wow, you weren't wrong on the phone last night. I really am jealous, not sure if Hawaii can compare to that place. I can't believe you're touching the fish though...FREAKY!! That is the most beautiful beach I think I have ever seen. :)
ReplyDeletep.s. it's "coral" not "corral". I know you usually fix my typos, but I'm proud to say I can actually fix one of yours! YES!! :)
haha thanks ;)
ReplyDelete